high school transcripts

Home Forums High School high school transcripts

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Donna Simmons 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Donna Simmons
    Keymaster

So…who’d like to get the ball rolling about the creation of high school transcripts and a portfolio? Questions, comments, shared advice, confused ramblings….all welcome!

Sabrina

No clue! lol I would be interested to hear how others have gone about creating transcripts and portfolios.
    Any Canadians on the forum? How does this work in Canada??

Donna Simmons
    Keymaster

Sounds like it’s research time for you Sabrina!! Whether Cheyenne goes to college or not, it’s a good idea to keep the door open – it can also be that as a 8th, 9th or even 10th grader a teen looks unlikely to go to college and then – whoosh! S/he suddenly makes huge academic and social changes and is raring to go. (as a 15 year old my sole interest was in getting backstage at concerts and getting up close and personal with Steven Tyler and Robert Plant…2 years later and I was on my way to Sarah Lawrence, one of the top colleges in the US so there you go!). I have worked with so many students fitting this profile when I was a high school teacher.
    Anyway…perhaps you’d be so kind as to do a little investigating about what Canadian homeschoolers do when they are thinking about college…and help us get the ball rolling.
    And yes – there are Canadians here…including at least one who has high school age children and beyond (a- hem – you know who you are my friend!) so perhaps they will chime in. As it is August, we might have to wait until school kicks in again in the Fall to see much activity here (and in the other sub forums).
    But I’m here – so feel free, Sabrina, and anyone else to start talking about all of this.
    And I will also provide more content – and help – with the whole transcript and portfolio issue. I’m not trying to dodge this – but Sabrina, it would be helpful to get the Canadian perspective.

Seonaid
    Participant

I have a question about portfolios. My son is entering his last year of high school and still feels that he does not want to go on to college. This is despite the fact that as a homeschooled high school student, he has taken several community college classes (academic ones) and gotten As in all of them. We have 2 local community colleges, and one of them he has quite enjoyed spending time on campus and likes the campus culture. Yet he worries that college would be a waste of money and time while he “finds himself”.

Here is where the portfolio comes in. He very much enjoys crafts (blacksmithing, woodworking, jewelry making, sewing, carpentry, etc. etc.). Yet he worries that he could never make a living following this passion. I think a portfolio would be the best way to show his work. Since his crafts work is all three dimensional (and much of it is large), we will need to find a photographer who can take good photos, which will show off my son’s work. My main question regards how to go about organizing a portfolio. What should be included? What should be left out? How much should be included? How should it be structured? Are there instructions somewhere for creating a portfolio? Once he has a portfolio together and starts showing it to people, I am hoping that he will encounter someone who will inspire him or help him to figure out his next step.

Donna Simmons
    Keymaster

Hi Seonid,

There are many kinds pf portfolios that students can create to give colleges and also potential employers (or perhaps in your son’s case, craftspeople he could apprentice to) a good idea of the student’s work and capabilities.
    #
    In your case, I would simply make a list of classes your boy took with you or elsewhere for 9th and 10th gr – make a simple sheet with a list of classes (algebra, English 1, Spanish, woodwork etc). Then for each class for each grade write a short paragraph describing the class (in Spanish X studied conversation, grammar and reading) and list the texts you used – this includes novels and short stories and the math text you used.
    For math, you could clip onto that page one or 2 examples of your son’s best work for the year. For English, one essay and one test or similar.
    For art and craft classes for gr 9 and 10 I would simply describe what he did and maybe attach one photo montage of the work.
    For 11th and 12 it gets more serious (and remember – this is simply one kind of portfolio which might be best suited for what your son is interested in – those of you, for instance, with a child interested in going to a college which looks at GPAs, then you must grade your child’s work – with a description of how you do that – and be a little more on it with 9th and 10th gr work. But for a craftsman, musician, artist and so on that is probably less important).

For 11th and 12 you should – he should – document his work much more carefully, describing, for instance, how it has grown and evolved during these two years and where he would like it to go. Be bold, be creative.

As for the classes he did at community college – they should be able to provide you with some sort of transcripts for those classes with comments or at least grades.

Rule of thumb for portfolios – gear it toward who you imagine is looking at it. For a master blacksmith considering an apprentice, I should think skill, tenacity, willingness to make mistakes and to learn from them, creativity and knowledge of the craft would be what he was looking for. What is a unique but also honest and authentic way your son could appeal to such a person (for example)?

Rule number two – don’t go overboard. Don’t make a prospective college/craftsperson/employee have to wade through tons of paperwork. Succinct and to the point – this is key.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2019 Donna Simmons

Website made by Bookswarm