King of Irelands Son

Home Forums Grades 1-5 King of Irelands Son

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sabrina 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

latishaheilman
    Participant

I am struggling a bit with teaching this block because of the time it takes my son, and perhaps I am presenting it wrong?
    What I am struggling with is the last LA block,Saints and Heros had 3 days to present a short story, draw the picture/write and do the painting/play etc, and this block it has gone to one day to read 20 pages, draw/write 2 pages in his book. It is taking him at least an hour to write and draw 1 page, this is after we read the story, then we have to have a break because he is fried, we come back, do the second picture/writing, by the time lunch and 1st lesson is done we are already at 2pm, with out time for form drawing or knitting, unless I take school to much later, or incorporate form drawing on the beach.
    Am I missing something in the presentation of the material? I am keeping the drawings fairly simple and the writing is 2, 3 sentences at most. Should I be reading the story the night before? Should I be rushing my son to finish the pictures, make him write less? I try to stand back to let him copy my work into his book after he reads it, otherwise he gets lazy and wants me to spell out each letter for him so he can write it.
    He is bit of a perfectionist, crying when he makes a mistake on his letters, or drawings, or even upon seeing my drawings, there have been many times he bursts into a fit of frustration giving up before he even starts, thinking he can not do it.
    Any help/suggestions would be very appreciated.
    Thank you!
    Latisha

Donna Simmons
    Keymaster

Hi Latisha,

Many apologies to you–I am supposed to be notified when there are new posts and this has not been happening–so I only just stumbled on this!
    Something is definitely not quite right here…Could you explain abt about this:
    ” I try to stand back to let him copy my work into his book after he reads it, otherwise he gets lazy and wants me to spell out each letter for him so he can write it.”

I am having trouble getting a clear picture of how this is unfolding.
    If you could explain a bit more, I can offer some help. Could you also give a fuller picture of his perfectionism–you have mentioned ‘lazyness’ and perfectionism–how do those manifest?

Sabrina

Hi Latisha,

My two oldest children tend to be how you are describing. It helps for us to slow down. So we might extend the block to move a little slower, or skip other lessons to allow more time for main lesson. I try to balance gently nudging them forward and finishing their work and skipping lessons to give them breathing space. I also try to be conscious of how I am feeling- if I start feeling rushed, they feel that rush and freeze up and then nothing gets done. : )

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2019 Donna Simmons

Website made by Bookswarm