Season and rhythm changes

Home Forums Making it Work Season and rhythm changes

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Donna Simmons 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

erinderamus
    Participant

I find it hard to transition from winter to spring, the cozy cocoon like inwardness of winter always seems hard for me to give up for the outward fling of spring, does anyone else struggle with this? Maybe itโ€™s also because we semi homestead and spring is hectic for gardening… how do you all transition through the seasons? Have you developed any techniques that work?

Kristin
    Participant

Hi Erin! I struggle with this too. I think having spring as my absolute favorite season helps me through ๐Ÿ™‚ But for real advice, I find that building the excitement works well for hard transitions for our family. Similar to Advent or Lent…the build up or “countdown” to something really special can make even the most difficult things exciting. (I use a similar brain tactic to approach my birthday each year LOL!) I like to start packing away winter things like snow pants and boots and rearranging a room or putting up fresh decorations around the house, making some different foods like more salads and lighter options help to bring closure to the cold and homebound winter. It starts to FEEL different in the house and soon you find yourself looking forward to the new blooms and sunshine. We had the intention of making May Day special by making little baskets or jars with cookies and flowers for our neighbors. It didn’t happen this year. We had a docs appointment for one of the kids. But we did get to spend the day with some cousins and we did bring them Dunkin Donuts…almost the same thing, lol! I love doing those pillar celebrations throughout the year. It always give you something to look forward to. As for homesteading…we’re in the suburbs. We do have plans for chickens soon and spent some time preparing a place for them. We also started seeds indoors to place around our yard. It’s not quite homesteading but I feel like I can relate in some way to the big responsibility and workload of all that. I am doing very small scale and it has been hours of work. I would say look at the work as a blessing. See it as good, hard labor that will bless you and your family in the months to come. When facing a hard time, I try to see the blessing God is offering me or the lesson He’s trying to teach me.

Donna Simmons
    Keymaster

We also lived on a farm for most of my boys’ childhood–and when the land made its demands, then we did what we needed to do. Most of our school work was concentrated in the winter months…and then kind of thinned a lot during the spring rush–and during harvest in the Fall. But our family rhythms were strong, they got all the stories from the hallmark main lessons, they loved to draw and later to write, and once the boys could read (both after age 10) then their reading, which did not happen during ‘school’ was a big part of their learning (true confession time: I was rather a Waldorf unschooler for a number of years – but I felt that the life on our farm and in the amazing nature of rural northern Wisconsin provided most of what my sons needed at the time).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2019 Donna Simmons

Website made by Bookswarm