"The Waldorf Home"

Home Forums Follow-ups to Talks "The Waldorf Home"

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Donna Simmons 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Kristin
    Participant

Hi there! I have finally gotten a chance to REALLY LISTEN to this talk and I just want to start out by saying that Donna, you never fail to inspire and encourage me. I can’t say enough how your genuine honesty really helps me in all aspects that it should. I always appreciate your ability to discuss the matter at hand while still reminding me that I “fit in” in a world, that from the outside, seems to not be in alignment with my Christian beliefs. Thank you for that. I think all of us can relate to the feeling of being “not pure enough” and it’s so refreshing to hear all your insight. I have so much on my mind after watching this that I feel compelled to think it through before posting more. I just wanted to let you know that I was there, I saw the video and I loved it! I’ll be back to update my thoughts and ask my questions once I’ve had a chance to pray about it and put it all into order in my own head. See you soon 🙂

Donna Simmons
    Keymaster

Thanks so much, Krisitn, for your enthusiastic response to that talk! Love to hear more from you – and also from others who has viewed it. Are there any issues arising from the talk that anyone would like to discuss? Any questions, comments…?

Ginger

Hi everyone, I agree With Kristin 100%. My head is so full, I feel I’m bursting. Donna, Thank you for sharing, somehow you say, what I need to hear, when I need to hear it. XO.
    So, I get that life happens, that rhythm is important, good food,rest, etc… I know these things to be true..But what about summer??? bed time is late, meals are I feel an all day picnic.. not to mention that Oliver is sleeping later,and he seems more demanding….
    AND so the kicker, not directly related to summer, we have had family bed since birth.. and WELL quite frankly It was great, but I’m ready for him to be out of it.I tried couple of times, in the last six months but he keeps ending up in the “mom” bed, even thou pa is there too! 🙂 Now Since our 6 week road trip, I haven’t even bothered with trying to get him to sleep in his own bed. So, He’s been wanting a kayak for 2 years, I recently said, to him, that he could get a kayak, when he started sleeping in his own bed. But to no avail… I would love to hear other’s stories about a child transitioning to his own bed, or any suggestions really would be welcomed. Thank you. 🙂

Sabrina

Hi Ginger,

I agree summer can be challenging! We are usually outside during the summer. The house very quickly turns upside down, with not a lot of time (want, lol) to clean up. We do our best to keep mealtimes regular which helps. For me, I just want to let go! Which sometimes leads to crazy children.

We had a family bed too. Sometimes my two younger children still come into the “big bed” when their dad is working away. I don’t have any sure fire ways to get your son moved to his own bed. The only thing I can say is if I am wanting my children to do something or change something usually a little encouragement helps “you know its time you started to sleep in your own bed” or ” Mama’s going to sleep alone (with dad) tonight… you can come for cuddles in the morning…” Ultimately they have to be ready. I wonder if you can make his bed a special place, new bedding? special lights? tenting his bed?

Kristin, I like your comment about the feeling of not being pure enough. It’s funny how we can lock ourselves into these feelings. Honestly over the past 15 years we have been “very waldorf” and “not so waldorf”. It can be so difficult in a world that often goes against our ideals. I can very quickly go to the place of guilt for things that I have done/allowed that are not my ideal. In my perfect world I would do everything right from the very beginning. But then I remember I’m human! It’s OK to make mistakes, and grow and learn and move forward.

Ginger

Sabrina thank you,
    for your thoughtful response. I value your suggestions. I needed to hear them. 🙂 Today I, a long with Oliver created a beautiful bedroom and the goal is now this is where your bedroom is and where you are sleeping. I feel that this time feels different then my other attempts. He actually seems excited. He seems most excited to being sleeping in the nude! LOL Anyho, thanks so much. AND I agree about the summer, we are hardly in the house and meals are the establishing factor and form of the day. 🙂

Kristin and Sabrina, thank you for your insights on not feeling waldorfy. I too feel sometimes, I got this, I’m so waldorf, then there’s late bedtimes, watching a movie or reading the wrong book. BUT like Sabrina said, WE are just human, it’s ok to make mistakes. But really there are no mistakes, I’ve been trying to stay more positive so, they are learning moments for me.

Donna Simmons
    Keymaster

Ginger! Slap on wrist – ‘wrong book’ – goodness! What is that meant to mean?! LOL!!It’s all about being conscious and it’s all about balance…Sometimes the ‘wrong book’ is exactly the ‘right book’ in those circumstances…at that time…with a particular intention.

Ginger

Donna, Well you are right and I agree with you. However I have read books to Oliver that I ended up reading a few chapters and BOOM the content began being for an older child, SO I had to stop and we will get to those in the future,(maybe)or never. I’m referring to, We read, Swallows and Amazons, by Arthur Ransome, last fall, WE LOVED IT, and I figured the next book would be just as delightful, and it was, but not for us, it was for that older child. I did learn to preview things better thou! 🙂

Donna Simmons
    Keymaster

Ooops…thought you meant wrong book for you as an adult!!LOL! Ah yes – the wrong book for the child ting…happens…and just like you said – you think the first in a series is ok but the next one just ain’t! Moral of the story: always (as far as possible) read a book first before reading it or later giving it to a child….though of course sometimes this doesn’t happen…!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2019 Donna Simmons

Website made by Bookswarm